My Mom is a great cook and baker. I guess it is sort of a family tradition since her maiden name was Cook.
During the seasons of Thanksgiving and Christmas, a lot of pies and cookies have been made in her kitchen over the years.
I remember all the pies at Christmas; Apple, pecan, pumpkin, and rhubarb.
While baking is in my genes, it has taken me a while longer to develop my baking talents. I know that you too will be able to make mouth-watering pies by using this tried-but-true recipe with high-quality ingredients. Don't forget the secret ingredient: a dash of love (I put it in everything).
Here is her recipe for a 9" two-crust pie:
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup Pork & Plants lard (how to make your own lard)
1/4 cup water
dash-heap of love(The secret ingredient)
1. Gather ingredients and food processor.
2. Put sifted flour, salt, and lard into the food processor.
3. Pulse the food processor until the mixture is crumbly about 30 sec. or so.
4. Add the 1/4 cup water. and pulse until sticks together.
5. Make into 2 balls; 1 slightly larger for the bottom.
6. Roll out on a well-floured surface. Remember to flour both sides of the dough ball and the rolling pin.
7. To roll out the dough: start in the center and roll out with even pressure to the end. Start in the middle and roll in the opposite direction. Keep starting in the middle and going in a different direction to make a circle.
8. Roll until bigger than the pie plate. Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and gently lift and place in the pie pan.
9. Add favorite pie filling and top with 2 crust.
10. Don't forget to sprinkle on the love.